Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg University’s MFA in Creative Writing, offers an annual prize that results in book publication. As a teaching press, we are staffed by graduate students enrolled in our Publishing Concentration. Our prize alternates genres annually, from poetry to fiction to nonfiction.
From April 1 to July 31, 2019, we are accepting submissions in creative nonfiction. The press welcomes innovative, original work from established and emerging authors. The competition is open to all writers in English living in the U.S., whether published or unpublished. Manuscript word counts should be in the 20,000 to 50,000 range. File formats should be either Word .doc or .docx. Pages should be numbered, and the author's name and address should appear on the first page.
Include a cover letter in the form provided online, and list contact information and a short (100 to 200 word) bio. There is a $25 entry fee. Current and former students of Augsburg's MFA in Creative Writing are ineligible, as are current faculty and staff of Augsburg University. The winner is announced in January 2020. The winner receives $1,000 and book publication in fall 2020.
Howling Bird Press books are distributed by Small Press Distribution, and are available at online retailers and in bookstores nationwide. Follow us online for news and updates:
Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg College’s MFA in Creative Writing, seeks submissions for its 2017 Book Prize in Nonfiction. The press welcomes innovative, original work from established and emerging authors.
The competition is open to all writers in English, whether published or unpublished. Author of the winning manuscript receives a cash award of $1,000, which serves as an advance, with book subsequently published by Howling Bird Press under a standard book contract.
- Submission period: April 1–June 31, 2019
- Online submission, including $25 entry fee, should be made through Submittable (this page).
- MFA faculty and publishing students will serve as judges
- Winner will be announced no later than January 2017
- Manuscripts should be between 20,000 and 50,000 words long.
- The book should be a single work of long-form nonfiction, or, if a collection of essays, unified in theme.
- Portions of the book may be previously published. If a single work of long-form nonfiction, the book must be previously unpublished.
- Manuscript pages must be numbered.
- Table of contents should be included (if applicable).
- Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition for consideration as long as no material is duplicated between submissions. Each submission will require a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts under consideration for this competition may be submitted elsewhere at the same time. Please withdraw your manuscript if it is accepted by another publisher and should no longer be considered for the Howling Bird Press competition. Withdrawal can be completed via the Submittable manager website. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Current and former students of Augsburg's MFA in Creative Writing are ineligible, as are current faculty and staff of Augsburg University.