Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg College’s MFA in Creative Writing, offers an annual prize that results in book publication. The current competition is for poetry manuscripts, and is open for submissions from April 15 to June 30, 2017.
The competition is open to all writers in English, whether published or unpublished. The author of the winning manuscript receives a cash award of $1,000, which serves as an advance, with the book subsequently published by Howling Bird Press under a standard book contract.
- Submission period: April 15–June 30, 2017
- Online submission, including $25 entry fee, should be made through Submittable (this page).
- MFA faculty and publishing students will serve as judges
- Winner will be announced in January 2018
- Manuscripts should be between 60 to 80 pages long.
- The book should be a collection of poems by a single author.
- Poems in the collection may be previously published, but the collection itself should be previously unpublished (i.e., book reprints are not eligible).
- Manuscript pages must be numbered.
- Table of contents should be included.
- Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition for consideration as long as no material is duplicated between submissions. Each submission will require a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts under consideration for this competition may be submitted elsewhere at the same time. Please withdraw your manuscript if it is accepted by another publisher and should no longer be considered for the Howling Bird Press competition. Withdrawal can be completed via the Submittable manager website. Entry fees are not refundable.