Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg University’s MFA in Creative Writing, offers an annual prize that results in book publication. As a teaching press, we are staffed by graduate students enrolled in our Publishing Concentration. Our prize alternates genres annually, from poetry to fiction to nonfiction.
From April 1 to July 31, 2018, we are accepting submissions in fiction. The press welcomes innovative, original work from established and emerging authors. The competition is open to all writers in English living in the U.S., whether published or unpublished. Manuscripts may be short stories, novels, novellas, etc. Word counts should be in the 40,000 to 60,000 range. File formats should be either Word .doc or .docx or PDF. Pages should be numbered, and the author's name and address should appear on the first page.
Include a cover letter in the form provided online, and list contact information and a short (100 to 200 word) bio. There is a $25 entry fee. Current and former students of Augsburg's MFA in Creative Writing are ineligible, as are current faculty and staff of Augsburg University. The winner is announced in January 2019. The winner receives $1,000 and book publication in fall 2019.Howling Bird Press books are distributed by Small Press Distribution, and are available at online retailers and in bookstores nationwide. Follow us online and on social media:
Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg College’s MFA in Creative Writing, seeks submissions for its 2016 Fiction Award. The press welcomes innovative, original work from established and emerging authors. Manuscripts may be a short novel, a novella, or a collection of short stories (which may also include a novella). Word count: 40,000–60,000.
The competition is open to all writers in English, whether published or unpublished. The author of the winning manuscript receives a cash award of $1,000 and book publication in fall 2019. Howling Bird Press books are distributed by Small Press Distribution, and are available from online retailers and at bookstores nationwide.
- Submission period: April 1–July 31, 2018
- Online submission, including $25 entry fee, should be made through submittable.com
- Acceptable file formats are Word .doc or .docx or PDF.
- Include page numbers, and list your name and address on the first page.
- MFA fiction faculty and publishing students will serve as judges.
- Winner will be announced in January 2019.
- Current and former students of Augsburg's MFA program are ineligible.
- Current faculty and staff of Augsburg University are ineligible.
- Include a cover letter with current address and contact information, and a short (100 to 200 word) bio, in the space provided on the submission page.